Tales of Hoffmann

from norwich to mysore....

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A nothing to-do with Mysore post

A Writer, who was dumping me by email at the time, once said this;
"Being a person sometimes feels like being handed to the keys to a very exciting but dangerous car with no brakes, with the most basic of driving lessons, then being let loose on a big, shapeless motorway with no real lanes or signs, full of other equally confused drivers in their fast cars, all smashing into each other"..

I don't know why he dumped me, to me we were perfect, he made me laugh and I made him cry, I thought his best friend was great, we all hung out together in Cafe's in Deepest, Darkest, Dirtiest Balham that were christened "Dark-Land" (the skanky manky one that did Full English Greasy) and "Twee-Land" the chinzy cutsie one that did raisin toast).. He wrote some of the best comedy ever and he was my adorable, raisin-faced troglydyte who drove a red Triumph Herald (and with whom I shared possibly the world's first joke involving the film Schindlers List) ...... where did it all go wrong? (somewhere over raisin toast in Twee-land, I think)

I tried to make the best of the break-up, although I was very upset about it at the time, tried writing a script about romance on the net (where we met) and called it GSOH and got quite bit of milage out of tag lines such as; Falling for a comedian was no joke.... In love, this time its Personals.. and othe nonsense. I thrashed out the outline a coupla times - jewish girl-meets-welsh writer yadda yadda yadda but kind of gave up as my heartache faded and I got more into my yoga practice.... I'd forgotten that I kept the dumping email - from 6 years ago! thought the final revenge, if you could call it that, would be to rehash the dumpers pearls of wisdom on the net... but somehow doubt he reads yoga blogs....

Of course I got over it and moved on and so did the Writer/Dumper. It wasn't me it was him and his shapeless motor way analogy was spot on, I feel a bit like that here, only the reality is all too accurate, people really ARE driving around with no driving lessons...

In my own life I sometimes feel like that, just making it up as I go along, no rules only the ones that seem to work today.. Yoga does help, the basic principles are the ones like "don't hurt anyone, least of all yourself, try to live in the moment, don't expect too much" (remember inLife of Brian there's a funny scene where Graeme aka Brian tries to drag up some tenets to live by, as the newly guru'd up leader... (" No, follow the Gourd!")

Anyway, digressing. The practice of yoga, well its simple technology really, make the body strong, make the mind strong enough to resist the chitta vritti (fluctuations) enjoy yourself (but not too much, just Friday night, ok?) and be nice to others.

HOWEVER! its not as simple as that, the would-be yogi has to live in the 'real world' unless that 'real world' happens to be the yoga bubble that some people escape to or in the case of some yogi's, permenantly inhabit.

For me, that's simply not possible, I'm far too Earthy, in the sense I'm attached to and am part of my earthly life, my kids, family and simple Jewish Princess Roots (look up Golders Green on the net)

I love yoga, and all that it offers don't get me wrong, I love getting up in the middle of the night to practice this bendy, sweaty stuff that purifies us and opens all the 72,000 nadis so we can really get mental :() I love all the stuff you can buy now; rugs, mat bags, lovely embossed business cards, guruji tour t-shirts (only kidding!) I love the fact that I am not by nature a disciplined person yet here I am day after day doing something that for the average person requires a fairly steely reserve...

I don't know what I'm saying, thanks I guess to the Writer for dumping me and in a sense propelling me further down that shapeless motorway, blissfully and stupidly racing ahead to catch a glimpse of Samadhi....

3 Comments:

Blogger Matrika said...

... yes, yoga is a grounding practice - not an escape. I'm feeling that this trip has given us much to consider and much to be thankful for...

12:21 PM  
Blogger Dr Disco said...

YEs Matrika.. I do too.. enjoy your dress.... x

12:26 PM  
Blogger Dr Disco said...

Stupidhed! what are you doing here? Email me when you can you lovely rubber lips.xxxx

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home