Full moon in Mysore

Full Moon in Mysore...
So sunday night the Palace in Mysore gets all lit up, I went to see it with my new Posse - the other 5 girls who Came to Mysore On Their Own.. there's Rebecca, Sarah, Monica, Anne and lastly but not leastly Alivia.. Who is leaving today boo hoo!
So we set off in separate rickshaws, weaving and dodging the traffic and sometimes it really is just amazing to think that you will arrive in one piece.. but we do. When we got there the other chicks were late having been dropped somewhere else so we waited around, just having a chat you know? The hawkers were out in full force and trying to stand around having a conversation is really hard as they assail you from all angles with tin whistles, key rings that light up (YES! 20 rupees only!) postcards and other assorted tat and they are really quite aggressive one guy started POKING ME with a wooden whistle! and also the flower girls who sell wreaths of fragrant jasmine. Actually, I like the flower sellers and If I'd had small change would have brought a length of jasmine..
After hanging around the palace seeing it light up (and take the power supply of Mysore with it no doubt) we get a rickshaw back, and Awesome Anna jumps in saying purposefully "Meter Haki!" (or that's what it sounds like) which means 'meter on" and the guy looked really pissed off and drove back with what can only be described in terms that would only make sense to you as 'reckless abandonment'. In India, this is just normal driving. No road rules, just every man, woman and goat for themselves and funnily enough no road rage! Just pure unadulterated fear. Mine.
Swerving, dodging, accelerating furiously, driving on the wrong side of the road, honking horn. Overtaking on the inside and then on the outside, no right of way only wrong of way....(Sounds like Wood Green High Road on a Saturday, yes?). This guy was obviously in a hurry, or else the influence of the full moon was upon him.. I didn't' check but I'm sure he probably had a monobrow and was running home to tear his clothes off and howl at the moon which was pretty, pretty good tonight... I find I go a bit mad on full and new moons (yes I know that I'm slightly unhinged most of the time SHUT UP!) i think the moons' energy really does have an effect, it also co-incides with the forces of the tides and the way a woman's menstrual cycle works. The reasons given for not practicing yoga on a moon day are that energy levels are different and if you sustain injury on these days it will take longer to heal. I just like the fact we have a rest...
til tomorrow when I will post Part 1 of Hilarious Signs you see in India.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home